Comprehension - The Big Dig
After you have completed the reading “The Big Dig” you will need to answer the following questions. Some of the questions you will be able to find straight from the reading but some will require you to think about what the author is trying to say
- What happened on the night of the 19th August 2011?
- It was a winter night and it was raining really hard.The rain was soaking into the steep hills.The ground could not hold any more water.So rocks rocks and mud pours came down.Covering the highway and and spilling the river.
- The next morning workers see the slip , they started to clean up.
- What did experts decided to cut into the landslip?
- Series of benches.
- What made it tough for workers to work on the slip?
- Because it is slippery and rocks and earth land keep falling into the slip.
- Why did they keep the road closed for so long?
- So that it is more safe for people to go on.Also it needs to be safer for the workers
- What happened when they first re-opened the road?
- It was only open for traffic.But it didn’t work out.Because there minor rockfall.So the highway was closed for one more day.
- How long was the road officially closed for?
- It was closed for a year.
- What two major towns is the Manawatu gorge between?
- Ashhurst and Woodville.
- Why do you think the workers wanted to wait until it was safe?Because if it wasn’t safe then then something might happen to the workers or the people that would like to go to Manawatu gorge.
- Do you think there will be a chance for another slip in the gorge? Yes , there is plenty of heavy rain that will come in the future.
Task description - In room 8 wiring we have to practice our comprehensions for out test.We have to read the big dig then fill the answers.I like to do this because I like to practice for things.
If you enjoy please leave a positive comment ( if you like ) God bless you and your family , stay safe and BYE BYE!!