Pages

Friday 28 December 2018

Leilani - Summer Learning Journey - Week 2 - Day1: Swimming With The Fish!

Walt: To explore with week two activity one.


WEEK 2: Water, Water, Everywhere
Welcome to the second week of the Summer Learning Journey. We hope that you enjoyed learning about the amazing land habitats that we have here in New Zealand and overseas. This week we are going to  focus on water; the lakes, rivers and oceans that make up our beautiful country. Are you ready to jump in and get wet? Let’s hope you brought your togs!


-----------------------

DAY 1: Swimming with the Fish



Activity 1: Surfs Up! [4 points]
In New Zealand we have many beautiful beaches and stunning waterfalls. One of the most spectacular waterfalls is called Kitekite and it is located in Piha, a small village west of Auckland. Tourists and locals flock to Piha during the summer season to enjoy the waterfall, the local beach, and the great surf. Have you ever tried surfing? Although I have never surfed many of my friends have and they absolutely love it. In fact, it is their favourite summer activity! What is yours?
For this activity, please take a picture of yourself doing one of your favourite summer activities. It could be anything! Here is a picture of one of our team members (Laura) doing one of her favourite summer activities.
On your blog, post a picture of yourself doing one of your favourite summer activities. Below the picture tell us what the activity is and tell us why it is one of your favourites.
----------------------
My favourite activity.

Have I been surfing? Well no , i'm very scared of surfing because of the huge waves. But I would love to try out surfing and maybe do it on the small waves. My most favourite thing to do in the summer holidays would be swimming. I didn't have any picture of me swimming so I took a photo of my second thing I like to do in the summer holidays. Which is spending time outside! I love jumping on my trampoline or just siting outside. Here I have took a photo of my jumping in front of my trampoline. My trampoline is not new it is very old. We have kept this trampoline since my sister was a very little girl. Today's weather was amazing so I thought I should take a photo of my with a big smile on my face jumping in the air!

--------------------------

Activity 2: The Great Taupo Cycle Challenge [4 points]

Every year approximately 7500 people arrive in Taupo, New Zealand to compete in a one-day cycling race around Lake Taupo. The race route is 160 km in length. Participants can choose to compete in the full race or the half-race (80 km). Let’s imagine that you were given a free ticket to compete in the Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge next year and you were able to bring three people with you as your ‘support crew.’ Who would you bring with you?
If it was me, I would choose my son, Aronui, as one of my supporters because he’s really funny and energetic. I think that he would make sure that I had a great time and that I spent the entire day laughing and smiling. I would also choose my sister, Leigh, because she is very strong and fast. Thirdly, I would choose my co-leader, Hazel, because she is very organised and would make sure that we followed the trail and didn’t get lost!

On your blog, list the three people you would like to have on your Lake Taupo Cycle Race Support Crew. Tell us why you have chosen each person.
-------------------

----------------------------

Activity 3: Something Smells Fishy…[10 points]

One of the longest and largest rivers in the world is called the Amazon River. It is located in South America and is approximately 6400 kilometres (kms) long. That is four times longer than the entire country of New Zealand. Wow!
Scientists believe that there are over 3000 different kinds of fish that live in the Amazon River. Now, that is a lot of fish! To learn more about fish, we went online and found some really cool facts about fish.
For this activity, we are going to provide you with five sentences about fish. Some of them are true and some are them are not. It is your job to read these ‘facts’, and decide whether they are true or false.
On your blog, write out each fact and in CAPITAL LETTERS beside the fact, write the word ‘TRUE’ if it is a true fact or ‘FALSE’ if it is not true.
True or False?

Fish Fact #1: The oldest known fish in the world is a 65 year old Australian lungfish.
Fish Fact#1 = True. The oldest fish to be known is the Australian Lungfish.
Fish Fact #2: Sharks are the only fish that have eyelids.
Fish fact #2 = True. Sharks are the only fish with eyelids.
Fish Fact #3: Starfish are a type of fish.
Fish fact#3=False. Starfish are not fish and neither are jellyfish.
Fish Fact #4: Fish communicate with each other by making low-pitched sounds (moans, hisses, etc)
Fish Fact#4=False. Fish don't have vocals so that can't make low pitch sounds like moans ect. But they can use their body parts to create sounds to communicate with other fishes.
Fish Fact #5: Fish usually swim together in groups called ‘classes.’
Fish fact #5=True. Some fish usually swim together in groups called classes. Because they have these things called lateral line which can do something with them helping to feel the water pressure from other fish or predators.

--------------------------------
Task Description:
Welcome back everyone! Today's post we have another Summer Learning Journey activity! But here we have started a brand new week! Week two day one! Yay. Today the first activity was we had to take a photo of our self doing our favourite thing that we like to do in the Summer. Our second activity was to pick three people to be our support crew for a long bike ride. Then the last activity was that we could do a true or false. So that's basically it. Bye!







1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Leilani.

    Lee here from the Summer Learning Journey team
    Finally I'm coming over to your blog for a visit!


    This is a great set of activities, I love the way you have presented your cycle challenge activity. Your Mum, Dad, best friend, and sister! I won't tell anyone you have a big support crew, the more the merrier!


    I also like how you have presented your photo having some fun time outside, and how you have explained your sons for the true/false answers. All fantastic!

    So do you think one day when you are older you might try surfing? I know it can be fun, i've never done it myself though!

    Thanks Lelani, talk toy ou soon!

    - Lee


    ReplyDelete