Pages

Wednesday 19 December 2018

Our Beautiful Country!

Walt: To complete day one's activity's from the Summer Learning Journey website.  

DAY 1: In the Beginning...


Activity 1: The Legend of New Zealand [4 points]

According to Māori mythology, much of Aotearoa New Zealand was formed when Māui, a powerful demigod, fished it out of the sea. Legend has it that Māui created a magical fish hook from the jawbone of his grandmother and that one day he took his hook, boarded a boat, and rode out into the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Once at sea, he threw his magical hook into the water and caught a fish. This ‘fish’ was actually the North Island of New Zealand! In honour of this legend, the North Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Ika a Māui or ‘Māui’s fish’ and the South Island of New Zealand is sometimes referred to as Te Waka a Māui or ‘Māui’s canoe. Image Attribution

To learn more cool facts about New Zealand, check out the Tourism NZ website. Read the fun facts posted on the website and choose your ‘Top 3.’ On your blog, post your ‘Top 3 Fun Facts’ about NZ in your own words.

------------------------------------
Task one: ( Choose MY top three favorite fun facts found on Tourism Nz website. )

Fact one!: While I was searching throughout all of the top 20 facts I found one of the facts about Aoteaora that I found very interesting , is , New Zealand was the very first country to give both male and females the rights to vote in the election. Thanks to governor , Lord Glasgow for signing a form to let both genders/others to have the rights to  participate in the election , this date was held in 1893. This reason I found this fact very interesting is because if Lord Glasgow didn't sign the form for all genders to have the rights in all elections that wouldn't have been far. Besides I think that everyone above the correct age should have participated in the election way before the form was signed for all genders to vote. 

Image result for rights to vote

Fact two!: Moving onto this second fact I found engaging is that the Auckland Sky Tower is the MOST tallest structures in the southern hemisphere. The height of the Sky Tower is standing at 328 meters high! This fact is very engaging  because first of all 328 meters is SUPER tall! As well is that the Auckland Sky Tower is apart of New Zealand which makes the citizen of New Zealand proud of our country because our land is growing popular! I love my country.

Image result for sky tower

Fact three!: Throughout Aoteaora there are many cities , one of them are know as Gisborne. Did you know that Gisborne  is the very first city in the world to see the sun rise , this reason is because Gisborne is  496.3 kilometers away from the International Date Line. Neither did I! Gisborne is located on the east coast of New Zealand. I found this my favorite fact because Gisborne is such an amazing city in New Zealand. One day in my life I would love to visit Gisborne for the very first time and it would be extremely beautiful!   

---------------------------------------------------------------

Image AttributionActivity 2: North and South [4 points]

The country of New Zealand is made up of two main islands – the North Island and the South Island. Approximately 77% of the New Zealand population live in the North Island. Many of these people (including our Summer Learning Journey design team) live in Auckland city. Auckland is a great place to live with lots of amazing parks, beautiful waterways and stunning scenery to enjoy. It is also a busy, vibrant city with many cafes, museums, galleries and theatres to visit. I feel lucky to call Auckland my ‘hometown.’


Now it is time to think about your hometown. What is special about where you live? On your blog, describe your hometown. Be sure to include lots of describing words (adjectives) in your post.



--------------------------------------------------------------------


Activity 3: Ice, Ice Baby [10 points]

Image Attribution:Antarctica is the world’s coldest continent. Even though it is made up of ice, it is also the driest continent in the world. In fact, it hasn’t rained there for nearly 2 million years! It is home to many animals such as whales, seals, birds, and fish. There are no permanent human residents (people who live there all the time) in Antarctica, however scientists do visit and stay in Antarctica for a while to study it.
This year the airline, Air New Zealand, filmed their safety video in Antarctica. They used some fabulous actors from Hornby Primary School in Christchurch. Just like on aeroplanes, we also need to keep safe and be smart online. We need to think about the type of information we are sharing online, who we are sharing information with, and how to have a positive digital footprint.
On your blog, make a copy of this footprint and, inside the footprint, explain how you create a positive, digital footprint. What do you do to stay smart online?.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Task Description: 
Hmm , it's the summer holidays , and we do I usually do in the summer holidays?  That's right! The Summer Learning Journey! This holidays i'm going to be participating in the Summer Learning Journey! Throughout all of the weeks in the summer holidays I would be blogging. Not just any ordinary post , it's going to be a Summer Learning Journey activity! Which means everyday of the week we received a activity that makes us learn about different things. Today's day is called In the Beginning... Well this sounds interesting. Day one contains three activity's. Activity number one we have to choose our top three favorite facts off a website and write that fact in our own words. The second activity was we got  to explain what our home town is like. I explained how where I lived we are all proud of our culture. I took this activity another step ahead by explaining one of my favorite places in Glen Innes!  Last but not least , our last activity was where we got to make a copy of a foot and inside that we we needed to insert tips our how we stay cybersmart or how we leave a digital footprint online. Now that all of the spoilers that i'm going to tell you for now. Thank you for reading this really long task description. Hopefully you have or are ready to enjoy my day one Summer Learning Journey task!  




4 comments:

  1. Hi Leilani

    My name is Izzy and I am one of the Summer Learning Journey team. I get to read your blog posts this summer. You have put so much thought and effort into your first blog post. I’m blown away.

    Your three facts are super interesting. I really enjoyed reading the reasons WHY you picked them as your top three facts. Have you ever been to Gisborne? I have only ever been there once but would like to travel there one day to watch the sunrise. It must be pretty special knowing that you are the first to see it every day.

    The way that you have described Glen Innes makes it sound so warm and inviting. I love hearing about communities that celebrate all the diverse cultures that live in them. I live in Mt Roskill. We are a very diverse community and one of my favourite things about living there is how many different celebrations and events there are every year. What are some of your favourite things to do in your community? You mentioning about flags reminded me of the last time I drove through G.I. It was when Tonga was playing a rugby match in Auckland. There were Tongan flags everywhere. The whole community looked like it had been painted red. I LOVED it.

    You have added some really great tips for keeping a positive and smart digital footprint. You have really thought about the impact that you have on others and the lasting imprint you leave online. Great work attributing your images also. I know it can be hard to remember to do sometimes but it’s so important that we do it so the right people get credit for their work.

    It has been a real privilege to read your first blog post Leilani and i can’t wait to see what you will put up in the coming weeks.

    Noho ora mai,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talofa Lava Izzy ,

    Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my very first Summer Learning Journey post! I appreciate that you have left some very nice things in your comment. I loved everything in it. Your very first question that is in your comment was have you ever been to Gisborne? Well no , but it sounds beautiful and one day I would love to visit Gisborne. While you where at Gisborne you must of had such a fantastic time there.

    Another question that you asked me was what are some of my favourite things to do in my community? Well my favourite things to do in my community is to going swimming with my family and friends at our public beaches. Another thing I enjoy to do in my community is to see the public decorate their houses and or get ready for any holidays. Some times we have light trials! Have you ever been to one? What is the best one you recommend because I LOVE light trails.

    Thank you for leaving this very nicely written comment for me. Everything you have written in this comment they were very nice comments about my very first blog post.

    Kind regards,
    Leilani

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greeting to you Leilani ,

    Your Work is SUPER DUPER amazing and Creative and mostly Detail with you saying lots of things about each task and putting all your effort into it , I like everything because its like a package already wrapped up so Well done Lei and god bless you and your family and friends and have a safe and blessed happy holidays !!!

    Your Friend ,

    Lilly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings Lilly ,

      Thank you so much for leaving me a very nice comment on my post. You have been such a kind friend and I love everything that you have wrote for me in this comment. Have a great holidays and god bless your family as well.

      Your friend ,

      Leilani

      Delete