Pages

Thursday 20 December 2018

Leilani - Summer Learning Journey - Activity 2 & 3!

Walt: To finish all of day two for the Summer Learning Journey.


Activity 2: Fabulous Ferns [4 points]



One of the most common plants found in New Zealand forests is the fern. It is a special, iconic symbol of New Zealand. You will find pictures of ferns on the jerseys of many famous sporting teams in New Zealand, including the New Zealand All Blacks.

Did you know that many of these teams also have the word ‘fern’ in their name? Use your best researching skills to find three New Zealand sporting teams who use the word ‘fern’ in their title.

On your blog list three sports teams that have the word ‘fern’ in their title. Beside each team’s name, post a picture of their uniform. Then, at the bottom of your blog post tell us which of the three uniforms you like best and why.

My favourite uniform out of all three teams:
My thoughts on these uniforms look GREAT! But of course I have too choose one that I LOVE. Well my favourite is personally the Silver Ferns uniform. This reason is because it looks very flexible and while playing netball that is one very important thing to have. In other sports too! Plus it nice and simple and there is a fern going across their uniform. 

-------------------------------------

Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful [10 points]

New Zealand is just one of many countries that has amazing plants and trees. In fact, the African desert is home to some pretty incredible plants, like the cactus. Some cacti are able to survive on as little as 3 millilitres (ml) of water a day. Wow!
Let’s imagine that you are given a cactus for your birthday. To keep it alive, you must give it 3 ml of water every day.
Over one full year, how much water will you need to give your cactus plant?
On your blog, tell us how to solve this maths problem. You can write your answer in words, use a Sketchpad image, or post a video explaining how you would figure it out. Be sure to give us your final answer in millilitres (ml).

---------------------------------------------------------
Task Description:
Welcome back fans! Today's post I have posted one of many activity's from the Summer Learning Journey website! These few days have been so much fun because of these very cool activity's! In today's post I  have done day one's activity two and three. Activity one I have already posted which was one of my recent post. In today's task for activity one we got to do some research about which sports team who represent New Zealand have ferns. Besides their team names. My three teams I did were the Silver Fern , Black Caps  and the All Blacks. The second activity was all about math's. We needed to figure about how many water we would need to keep a cactus alive for about over one year. I did one year and for one day the cactus can drink about 3 ml. Hopefully you are going to enjoy this very hard worked Summer Learning activity , or hopefully you have already loved this post and you learned some new things today. Thank for reading. See you next time!


2 comments:

  1. Kia ora & Namaste Leilani,
    You are such a star! I love your posts as I can see that you put a lot of thought into it and still having fun! Because learning should be fun and exciting right?!!
    Furthermore, you are doing a great job by making the correct attribution to the images you are using. Ka Mau te Wehi!

    Activity 2: Fabulous Ferns - I agree with you as I also like the Silver Ferns uniform because it is a bit more feminine whilst practical and the fern in front of the skirt that gradually changes colour adds such an original touch.
    For the future, try to make your poster a bit bigger as I found a bit hard to read the text in it, perhaps a google slide with the pictures would work better as it can be switch to full screen.

    Activity 3: Weird and Wonderful - I love Maths, specially the "working out" part because it shows that no problem is too big when you can break it down in small steps and also that are many paths to solve a problem. Furthermore, thumbs up for your poster, I like how you have been creative here and made your poster colour and fun. However, I struggle a bit to read the writing in the yellow with the white background, for the future I want you to try find the balance between clarity and fun (functionality x creativity). Also, I like how it shows the steps you took to solve the problem, you approach this problem from a different angle by multiplying 365 by 2 first and than adding another 365, so here you used multiplication and addition to solve the problem, well done!
    Another solid post! Keep up the good work!
    Kia kaha,
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Namaste Patricia ,

    Thank you very much for leaving a comment on my blog. I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying my summer blogging posts.

    As for activity two i'm sorry that that poster wasn't big enough that you couldn't read it. Next time I would make the size larger and make sure that it is easy to read. I agree with how you like to fern and the Silver Ferns uniform as well. One day I would like to be wearing that uniform on court.

    Moving on to activity three , I am also sorry that it wasn't easy to read as the color yellow was hard to see on the white background. Next time I would choose better colors. It seems that you have enjoyed the way I solved the math's problem. Hopefully it was correct for the answer but the working out was much funnier.

    Thanks anyways please stop by soon.

    Cheers ,
    Leilani :)

    ReplyDelete