Pages

Wednesday 20 December 2017

Leilani Holiday Blogging - Week 1 - Day 4 : Hitting A High Note!

Summer Learning Journey

-

Week 1 - Day 4 - Hitting A High Note


Activity 1 - The Waiata - A song in your heart


In the past, Māori would often use song as a way of sharing information or communicating emotions.  A waiata is the name given to a traditional Māori song. One of my all-time favourite waiata is Kia Paimarie. What about you?

Use Google to research traditional Māori Waiata. Listen to a number of Waiata and read the lyrics. On your blog tell us which one of the waiata you found you like the most. Why do you like it?

-----------------------

My favourite Waiata would be Nuku Te aio. Because I was listening to it and I thought that this song is just so beautiful. Many times my sister and I would sing the song together. I love that Waiata and one day I would like to see what that beautiful song means.

---------------------------

Activity 2 - Playing Games


R20A-2.jpg

Hundreds of years ago, young Māori children were taught to play a number of games, including Poi Rakau, Ki O Rahi, Koruru Taonga and Poi Toa. Read about each of these four games on the Rangatahi tu Rangatira website. Have you played any of them before? Isn’t it cool how the games have been passed down for generations?

------------------------------

Yes I have played with one which is the Poi Rakau. I find that Maori traditional game very fun and we all need to work as a team to complete this game. Yes it is so cool that these games have been passed down for generations. I hope no one stops sharing.

---------------------------


Choose one game, and on your blog, tell us the (i) name of the game, (ii) the goal or purpose of the game, and (iii) two rules.

-------------------------------

Today I would be writing about Po Rakau.

The goal for this game is to work as a team , listen very well , try not to drop the Rakau and last one to have fun. Let's get started!

A number of people would get selected and each person would get one Rakau each. Everyone would get into a circle and one person would call left or right. Maui ( which is left ) and Matou ( which is right ) When ever the person calls one of these you run to that side. You need to listen careful and try not to drop the stick.

Two Rules :

1 , Don't drop the stick

2 , There can be leg moving , head moving before they let go of the Rakau.

----------------------------------

Bonus Activity - Musical Festivals - Matatini



In New Zealand, a huge festival is held every two years, called Te Matatini. This performing arts festival celebrates the tikanga (culture or customs) of Māori. Kapa Haka groups from around New Zealand are invited to attend the festival and each group gives a 25-minute performance. The performances are judged and the best teams win prizes.

The gold medal winning team from this year (2017) was Te Kapa Haka o Whāngārā Mai Tawhiti.

Watch these three clips from previous Te Matatini festivals.

Te Iti Kahurangi

Te Puku o Te Ika


On your blog, rank the performances from your favourite (#1) to least favourite (#3) and tell us why you gave them the ranking that you did.

---------------------

Third place - I think that The Tameta Arikinui would come first. Because I wanted more energy from the performance. So that is why this one come third.

Second place - Te lti Kahurangi would come second because even though this performance was amazing it just didn't hit me that much.

First place - Te Puku O Te Ika. I have chose this one because it has looked like some one has passed away and I have the person rest in peace. They also look very beautiful in their Maori clothing doing their item.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------








5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there Leilani, thank you for sharing your favourite Waiata with us, Nuku Te aio. I was wondering what the lyrics are - would you be able to share them with us and tell us what they mean?

    It's great how you and your sister have such a special shared memory of singing this song together.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Billy ,

      Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my Summer Learning Journey activity. Also sorry for the late reply.

      Yes Nuku Te Aio is one of my favourite Waiata. I have lot's of favourite's. Sorry about not leaving the lyrics. But me and my sister just sing the middle part which is Nuku Te Aio over and over. But the lyrics and meaning is a mystery. I am very sorry. I need to find it.

      Leilani :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Leilani great job on your blog post for day four of week 1. I can see you put a lot of effort in this blog post. I watched the clips as well in the bonus activity and rated each of them. I really loved Te Puka O Te Ika as well. There performence was amazing.

    Thanks, Levonah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kia Ora Levonah ,

      Thank you so much for leaving a comment on my blog post of the Summer Learning Journey activity's. Great , it sounds like you a expert of doing the Summer Learning Journey. Yes , you love Te Puka O Te Ika as well. I love that one because it gives at lot of Kaha!

      Leilani :)

      Delete