Pages

Wednesday 22 May 2019

Rata And The Totara Tree!


Rata and the totara tree.

Retold by: Katerina Te Heikoko Mataira

Non - fiction

This week’s book is all about a man Rata and a special totara tree. Let me give you a quick summary of what our book was about.

A while ago a man Rata, went hunting for a great tree to create a canoe for his village. He came across and Totara tree, he was extremely excited that he forgot to pray or give a traditional ceremony before his men and himself cut down the totara tree.

Off they went chopping the tree down, every day they’ll cut down the tree but as they will go back the next morning the tree will be in the exact position it was in when they started cutting it down. Rata was sick of this nonsense, he sent his men home and waited late at night to see who put the tree back into position. Worms , butterflies , birds , all the children of Tane put the Totara tree back into position. Rata realized that he didn’t do a ceremony before cutting the tree down, he slept with the tree throughout the cold night. When Rata woke up the next morning he was gifted with a beautiful carved canoe!

This week I found our book quite fun, my reason for this is because I got to learn the creation of the world and the separation of Rangi and Papa. I also got to learn that you must show respect at all times.

If I could share this book to others I will think that year 3 - 7 students will enjoy this book and will learn some news facts. Have you ever read this book? If not then I recommend YOU to check this wonderful retold story. 
----------------------------------------------
Task Description:
This week I am sharing with you all my book review, this book review consist of a summary of what our book is all about , what I enjoyed in our story , as well as who would I recommend this weeks book too. 

This task would help us learn more about writing a book review for others and this will be helpful for in the future so if future generations would be learning about the same book they will know more by reading this book review. Lately I have been enjoying creating book reviews because I get to share with others my learning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment